According to law, all international students must register in Iceland or apply for a student permit depending on citizenship.

Students with citizenship outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or European Free Trade Association (EFTA) must apply for a student permit before arrival and be granted approval from the Directorate of Immigration. Students should apply for a residence permit immediately after receiving their acceptance letter from the University Centre of the Westfjords. A residence permit may be granted for as long as one year and it is the student's responsibility to apply for a renewal.

Please visit the website of the Directorate of Immigration for detailed information.

Before Arrival

Submit a complete application for residence permit and supporting documents to the Directorate of Immigration before the deadline June 1st. Students should apply for a residence permit immediately after receiving their acceptance letter.

Make sure to carefully read the information and instructions on the website of the DoI. Along with the application, you will be required to submit a number of supporting documents. Please also note that the application will not be processed until paid for.

Upon Arrival

Please follow all instructions you receive from the Directorate of Immigration as part of your student permit application process. After arrival in Iceland, you have 10 days to get your photo taken by DoI (UTL in Icelandic), which can be taken in the Municipal office in Ísafjörður.

Residence permits for students are granted for either 6 months or 12 months. You must apply for a renewal of your residence permit at least four weeks before the expiry date of the previous permit. If you continue to meet the requirements for a residence permit, the permit will be renewed.

After you receive an answer, you must have your picture taken for a new residence permit card, either at the Directorate of Immigration, where you need to make an appointment, or at an office of the District Commissioner in Ísafjörður. Remember to bring your passport to prove your identity.

When a new residence permit card has been ordered, you will be sent an email and five days later you can pick up the card at the same place where you had the photo appointment.

To renew a student permit, you must still be enrolled in full studies (30 ECTS per semester) and show satisfactory academic performance. More information can be found on the website of DoI.

Change of address

All changes to housing arrangements must be notified to Registers Iceland and the Directorate of Immigration.

Leaving Iceland

Before leaving Iceland, students must notify Registers Iceland. Students who have an Icekey (Íslykill) can file form A-251 online. Students who are unable to do this online must go to Registers Iceland and file the form in person.